Monday, February 20, 2012

I hate regret

Right now, I am working on two little portraits for a woman who works in the office that I am a student worker in.  Her husband's birthday is on the 23rd and I am gonna try my best to get them into her by tomorrow afternoon.  It's gonna be tough.  I have the 11x14 done and I like it, but I am still working on the two 5x7s which are a little more difficult because I've never worked that small with a portrait before.  I was just looking at the bigger portrait.. 

Ok, yes... I might have been admiring it, but not in a conceited way.  I was merely thinking about how far I have come along with my art.  I started thinking about the day when I was in about 7th grade and I drew a really good portrait of Johnny Depp.  Well... good for back then.  I remember, I was really shocked that I drew him so well.  

That just started me thinking about all the other things that I had drawn... little books I had started, or phases I went through drawing certain things...  I really really really wish that I had kept them.  I had thrown them away gradually with every occasional room cleaning.  Now looking back, if I were to change one thing about my past, it would be that. I would have collected all of my art work so I could look back, like I wish I could now, and see my artistic progression.

So... can you think of something that, looking back now, you seriously wish you hadn't thrown away?  Let's get some comments on here people!!! I wanna read about you!  It is NOT hard to comment if you don't have an account.  PLEASE :)

2 comments:

  1. hahaha. i love the bribe! haha
    i used to write a lot. i see where my mom kept stuff that i wrote or drew and there are a few things that i kept here and there but there are a lot of things that i wrote, deemed stupid, and then discarded. every now and then i'll find something that i wrote back in the day and i can't believe that i wrote it. some of it is just annoying little things but others show my feelings, battles i had back then, or insights that i've forgotten. i wish i didn't throw those writings away just because i thought they sounded stupid. those writings show who i was at the time and what i was going through. they tell my story better than i ever could. it's like little hidden treasures. i should make a little book of the ones i did keep. and i'll just make a section that says, "things i think are dumb but i wrote them anyway" hahaha. what do you think?

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can empathize with what you're feeling. I wish I still had all my drawings from when I was younger, too. I think between things getting lost or thrown away upon moving, or me just thinking I had "outgrown" those things and they weren't as important anymore is what caused me to let go of those expressions that I used to hold so dear. It's sad to think that I once spent so much time delving into those projects, and now I can't even remember parting with them. I really wish I had them back now, just to reminisce and remember what I was once capable of and the potential I had.

    ReplyDelete